This cake tastes just like lemon meringue pie! Fresh lemon flavor shines through in the custard filling between the layers, and the light meringue frosting adds a fancy finish. It's not only a deliciously different dessert, but it's also a conversation piece!
Lemon Meringue Cake Recipe
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
MAKES: 12-14 servings
1 package lemon or yellow cake mix (regular size)
1 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
4 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel. Cool completely.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on an ovenproof serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread meringue over top and sides. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice: 347 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Courtesy: Taste of Home