I also threw a little Greek yogurt in there for moisture.
For this cake, I adapted my favorite chocolate cake recipe, which is this Black Magic Cake that I originally posted on my previous blog. I swapped out the cocoa powder for Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder, and I left out the coffee. The Black Magic Cake batter is thinner than most cake batters, so leaving out the coffee and just sticking with buttermilk makes it a little thicker and denser. But still rich, chocolaty cake. I also threw a little Greek yogurt in there for moisture.
- 1 box Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1-21 oz can cherry pie filling
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 8-oz packaged cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temp
- 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat chocolate cake mix, egg and water in a large mixing bowl, on medium speed for about 1 minute. Gently fold in cherry pie filling.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth, about a minute. Slowly add sifted powdered sugar, salt and cocoa, then beat on high for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Spread immediately on the cooled cake. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.